At Hospice of Charles County, we strive to deliver care that How You Can Help Hospice of Charles County Flyer is best for your patient; whether that’s home-based care focused on empowering your patients, managing a chronic disease, palliative care for those with a terminal disease, or Hospice care at the end of life.
Our Hospice care team works closely with physicians to provide a compassionate and comprehensive level of care to your patient when:
- The disease is progressive
- The prognosis is limited – typically six months or less
- Your patient understands that further care will be limited to comfort and quality of life, rather than an aggressive curative treatment plan
Timely referrals build better support systems for you and your patient. Patients and their families experience the greatest benefits from hospice care when they are admitted early. Terminally ill patients and their families need time to transition from curative to palliative care. An early referral will enable Hospice workers to fully prepare and provide the full range of available benefits.
It may be time for a referral to Hospice if your patient has:
- Frequent after-hours phone calls
- Recurrent emergency room visits
- Repeated hospital admissions for symptom management
- Decreasing response to reasonable interventions
Any person who has approximately six months or less to live is a candidate for Hospice care. While over 60% of patients cared for by Hospice of Charles County are diagnosed with some form of cancer, we care for any patient with a life-limiting illness.
For additional information, a tour of our Hospice House facility, or to refer a patient to Hospice care, please contact us today at 301-861-5300.